Saturday, June 27, 2009


Yes- I will miss Michael Jackson.

A lot of things can be said about Michael Jackson. Often, genius comes with a price. Eccentric and erratic behavior seems to be the norm for those that are brilliant at something. Most of us cannot really relate... so, we should be very careful about judging those who, in many ways, actually make our lives better or provide some welcome diversion from the mundane realities of every day life. Being born in 1968, I grew up watching and listening to the Jacksons during the 70s and then was drawn into Michael's music during the 80s... as were so many. His influence was broad and powerful, even if you weren't a big fan. It's been awhile since I really listened to Michael's music, and when I heard the news of his death I was shocked like many others, but I didn't really feel that sad about it. Then, I went looking for his CD's I had stashed in a cabinet. I put "Thriller" in, (I actually have the vinyl album, too) and a rush of feelings started coming over me, and I remembered how thoroughly he dominated the years I was in Jr. High School and High School... much of his music a soundtrack to the memories I have growing up. I'll miss you, Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment